Thursday, January 19, 2012

Welcome to Mainz!

Sometimes the best things happen when you least expect them. I was at the train station in Frankfurt waiting for a train to Mainz, about 40 minutes away. I was trying to work a vending machine, and a woman pointed out that it said "out of order." She was a young woman, in her thirties, and she spoke English with an American accent.

She was commuting from Mainz for work, and helped make sure I got on the right train. It turns out that she's the organizer of an English speaking group for people living in Mainz, and they happened to be meeting last night.

From what she described they welcomed newcomers, so I decided to tag along. (she wasnt going to stay because her family was expecting her, but if nobody else showed up, I could at least have some dinner...I was hungry!)

Johanna walked with me from the train station to the restaurant. There were four other people already there, all in their fifties or sixties. They were all so welcoming and happy to see a new face. They told me all about Mainz and suggested things to do, and wanted to hear all about my ballet adventures.

One couple was especially outgoing, and they offered to drive me to my hostel, which was outside of the center of town. I know you're not supposed to accept rides from strangers, but it was like a friend's parents offering me a ride. I've included a picture of them! George Lewis and his wife, whose name I think is Claudia...

Waking up this morning, I saw that I'm right on the Rhine. People last night were telling me that the Rhine separates Mainz and Wiesbaden, an old city that's definitely worth visiting while I'm here.

I'm feeling tired today so I've decided to take the day off from dancing. Later I'll visit the center of town, look at the Gutenberg museum, find a yoga class, and maybe take a quick train to Wiesbaden for dinner.

Can you believe those amazing people I happened to meet??!

No comments:

Post a Comment