Saturday, January 14, 2012

Dortmund

I'm

happy to report that a few consecutive days in Germany have resulted my increased understanding of the conversations going on around me. I'm not saying I understand every word, far from it. Still, I feel more brave every time go through a conversation to order food...that's all I've had the courage for so far.

My dad sent me a link to a Free German language course through a radio station in Munich, called "deutche, warum nicht?" (German, why not.) I was very satisfied that just by being here, thrown into the culture, I was already at least 3 lessons in.I'm learning basic grammar rules and how to pick out the words I already know.

Yesterday very early I took the train to dusseldorf for class with the company, and it was very nice. I'm not sure if I mentioned, but the dancers in these companies come from all over the world, and the language spoken in class and rehearsal is usually English.

I didn't get to see much of dusseldorf because I got right back on the train, but I could tell from the train that it's a very nice small city.

Back in Dortmund, I took class with the company again, this time at their theater in the center of Dortmund. They're performing a program with a Balanchine piece, rubies; a Benjamin millepied piece, and forsythe's second detail. (for those of you who think that's gibberish, that program is kind of a dancer's dream.) I wish I could see it tonight, but they have the evening off.

Tomorrow is the audition, and them I'm off to Frankfurt! I've been invited to visit Forsythe's company there, to take class and watch rehearsal. This won't be an audition, as it's a very contemporary company that rarely hires, with most of the dancers in their late thirties and forties. But I'm so excited to see the company and watch forsythe work!

After class I stumbled into an outdoor market, that puts Santa Monica's farmers market to shame. Check out the huge platters of dried fruit, sausages, breads, and the list goes on. This is the perfect atmosphere to learn some German, because the signs list what the items are called! Genius!

One final thing...I went to a yoga class where the teacher spoke German the whole time, a totally unreal experience. I could follow along because I've been to plenty of yoga classes, but I had to keep peeking out of the corner of my eye to make sure I was doing the right thing! Eep!

No comments:

Post a Comment