Tuesday, January 3, 2012

On the train

Now that I'm on the train to Munich I have some time to tell you more about what Zurich was like.

I haven't had any trouble with the language barrier. Everyone speaks German and English, and i've found that as long as you're friendly, people don't mind speaking english or helping with directions.

It was fun to take a German ballet class. The terminology was still in French, but the teacher's comments were in German, and she showed the combinations while counting in German. Still, I've taken enough ballet classes in my life to understand what she was talking about.

The public transportation system in Zurich is really easy, and the city itself is extremely clean. The cost of living is unbelievably high, I couldn't believe it was normal to pay six dollars for a cup of coffee!

I have to rely on my ability to make snap decisions, which is why I decided to get to Munich tonight instead of spending another day planning in Zurich. I'm still hoping to return to Zurich for the weekend, but I might try to visit some other places in Germany first. Stuttgart and Dresden are the closest cities from my list, so I might try to visit at least one in the coming week. Of course, it all depends on what the companies say. There are a lot of places on my list, so the trick is to just keep moving so that the first few weeks aren't wasted.

The train from Zurich to Munich is about four hours long, and passes through the very edge of Austria along the way. It's too bad that i wont be able to see out the window along the way. I'm looking forward to resting for the next few hours, and I have walking directions to the hostel in Munich. I probably won't be able to see much when I arrive (at about 10:30 pm,) but tomorrow is a new day.

By the time I can post this, I won't be on the train anymore, but I wrote it on the train :).

1 comment:

  1. I am SO loving hearing how things are going!! Taking the ballet class hearing "eins vei drei" (spelling???) must have been disorienting but as you said -- you've taken a few classes... It is SO COLD here in NYC. Going down to about zero tonight. How's the luggage arrangement working out? Hope you are glad to not be lugging those other books! Looking forward to seeing more pictures. xoxox

    ReplyDelete