Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Tallinn last week

On the plane to Tallinn I met April, a very nice American woman living in England, and her daughter Isabella. In the time we spent together over the next few days, she let me know that her husband had been concerned that an "American," "ballet dancer," had made herself available in Tallinn for afternoon adventures around Tallinn. When he saw these pictures, I hope he realized that I'm not much of a threat, and wasn't planning on whisking them off, never to be seen again. Here are my friends.

The hostel was awesome, run by two Australian people who were so helpful with things to do and cheap places to eat. Everything in Tallinn is amazingly cheap, and the food was really good. I tried blood sausage, borscht, and an Estonian hamburger.

Saunas are a big thing here, but I opted out of the mixed gender experience. I did find a sauna in the women's locker room of a gym, and it was great.

The company was a huge change from the others I've been to. This one was very classical, performing only full length classics, as far as I could see. It was the only place I've been where everybody speaks the language, so all rehearsals and class were in Estonian( apparently the worlds hardest language to learn. The girls were very serious, an not so enthused about an outsider on their territory. It was a huge challenge, but left me wanting a job there just for the adventure that it would bring.

Overall I loved tallinn and would definitely want to live there. The combination of Scandinavian, Slavic, and western European culture made it one of the coolest places I've ever seen.
Oh, it was absolutely freezing...I slipped on the ice and fell on my butt :)

I'm in Copenhagen now, a story for another day.

No comments:

Post a Comment